Saturday, October 23, 2004

Under Fire

I’d like to have the last two weeks of my life back. I intend to post more about this topic in the future when the dust settles, but I thought I’d mention that our Manhattan office building had an electrical fire on Saturday morning, October 9th, that destroyed the entire electrical infrastructure and rendered the building unusable. This displaced the 350 attorneys that work there as well as the entire New York-based support staff.

We activated our disaster recovery facility over the river in Queens (SunGuard) where we continually replicate mail, our document management system, and other miscellaneous resources. Mail and documents were available to our attorneys at home within a few hours.

In addition to space at SunGuard, the firm obtained additional space at the Drake Hotel, 630 5th Avenue, 30 Rockefeller Plaza, and 1133 6th Avenue. Through the efforts of many we have succeeded in keeping everyone connected and working. Much of the credit for this has to go to my boss who has an amazing grasp of both technology and logistics.

As I said, I intend to post a much more thorough analysis of all that was, and still is, to be learned. After all, we still have to move back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home