Saturday, September 04, 2004

Exploring SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services

In creating my new Conflict Report I had anticipated the need to produce multiple formats. SQL 2000 Reporting Services -- which is used to create the report -- allows for multiple output formats. The initial report was designed to look very much like the one in use now at my firm. That is, it is designed for the printed page, and the PDF output format fits the bill. Since the report submission process is now streamlined to the point where requests can come in via emails initiated on Blackberries, the next logical step is to produce a version of the Conflict report suitable for display on a Blackberry. My first inclination was to simply create another report project where the output was flattened into a simple

Label: Value

format. And I certainly can do that. I would also render this in PDF via Reporting Services and the Blackberry user can then view this PDF (or alternately, I might render it as an Excel file since these render reasonably well on Blackberries. However, it occurred to me that it might be easier and more elegant to leverage Reporting Services ability to render my existing report into XML. An XSL transform could then be used to render a format suitable for the Blackberry...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home