Sunday, September 05, 2004

Digression

Although my blog is intended to be of a technical nature, I feel compelled to provide this glimpse into my life. I am a lifelong New York Giants football fan. Not a true fanatic -- just a run-of-the-mill fan. For those of you who don't know the NFL, the Giants play in the NFC East, and our traditional rivals are the Philadelphia Eagles, the Dallas Cowboys, and the Washington Redskins.

I met my wife Pilar

twenty years ago in Washington DC. And unlike many American wives, she watches football with me. She embraces football. She LOVES football. One would think that any red blooded American husband would look at this as a good thing. But sometimes it's hard to live with the "biggest Redskins fan known to man"!

I've already told my children that they shouldn't plan on college because Pilar is turning my basement into a Redskins sports bar -- one item at a time -- through EBay auctions. Each night, after I return from work, she enthusiastically relates to me each of the day's items that she "won"! I'm including a picture of this work in progress here.


Most weeks we go to a sports bar to watch the 'Skins because we are in NY and her games are typically not televised. So in we walk, me with my Giants jersey, and Pilar with her Redskins jersey, jacket, hat, earrings, rings, bracelets, key chain, beer cooler, etc. We watch the games together, and typically empathise with each other about our respective teams' fortunes, but when the 'Skins play the Giants -- normally twice a year -- we're talking about a whole different dynamic. That involves maintaining a safety buffer of at leat four or five bar stools and a subsequent twenty-four hour cooling off period.

Anyway, some other men might feel emasculated by the fact his wife was turning his home and castle into a shrine for his team's nemesis. But not, me. I have refused to allow her or my two beloved daughters to prevent me from wearing the pants in my family. As proof of that, I give you our family dog:


Man's Dog Posted by Hello

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny is this? While cruising the web sites of some of my former haunts I find a former cube mate from a past life who's life is now run by not only the three women in his life but a funny looking dog...and his wife is a Redskins fan no less!!! I guess I would have to side with Pilar though - I live near many former and current Skins - actually see Chris Samuels and Darrell Green once in a while as they live in my neighborhood along with some other players. Camp is right down the street as well - Pilar would be envious...!

October 11, 2006 at 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home